At Fairfield School, English encompasses communication and literacy as life skills. There is a strong focus on finding ways to support children’s communication, reading and recording. Literacy and communication underpin learning across the curriculum, and English is planned as part of the whole school creative curriculum, to ensure opportunities to develop understanding of sounds, and their symbolic representation. We work in partnership with the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT), and Information Communication Technology (ICT) team to provide resources to match individual needs.
Recording is supported with the use of switches, iPads, as well as the use of writing implements. We use Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), Quest Curriculum, National Curriculum and ASDAN to provide a breadth of coverage across school.
Activities are differentiated to meet individual need, with a strong focus on independence.
We aim to:
- value and build on children’s own ways of communicating
- promote independence in communication
- promote enjoyment in sharing books
- develop understanding of the ways words can be represented through symbols
- enable children to record what they know
- develop creativity and imagination