Our School Offer


What is the Kirklees Local Offer?

The Local Offer has been developed as part of the new Children and Families Act. It aims to provide information on education, health and social care provision available for disabled children and young people and those with special educational needs, in a way that can be accessed quickly and easily.  

Who is producing the Local Offer?

Kirklees Council is working with parents, young people, schools, colleges, early year’s providers and health services to produce the Local Offer. 

What information do schools provide?

Schools have a duty to provide information about special educational needs that is accessible to pupils, parents and carers.   We need to make sure this information is kept up to date.

Where can I find the Local Offer?

The Kirklees Local Offer can be found at www.kirkleeslocaloffer.org.uk

The above link relates to the Kirklees Local Offer which gives children and young people aged 0 – 25 years with special educational needs or disabilities, and their families, information about what is available in Kirklees across education, health and social care.

It covers:
•    SEN support in nurseries and schools
•    Health and Social Care
•    Choices for school leavers
•    Support for parents and carers
•    Income and benefits
•    Things to do where you live

It is more than a directory of services. It brings everything together in one place.

Fairfield School's Offer

At Fairfield we try to personalise our offer as much as possible to meet the individual needs of the children and young people.  Within class, teachers plan for each child and young person, and try to find unique ways to unlock their potential.

 We have a very wide range of choices and interventions within our curriculum which enrich our offer and give greater opportunity to meet additional needs.  To support this we use the expertise of a huge range of outside agencies and partnerships. They work with our young people but also train and support our staff in developing a greater skill base. 

 As a result, we think our curriculum has the flexibility needed to meet need whilst being creative, imaginative and stimulating.  

What type of SEN do we cater for?
Fairfield School caters for students with Complex Needs including those with Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties, Severe Learning Difficulties and those with Multi-Sensory Impairments.

How will you support my child or young person with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)?

The head teacher has responsibility to oversee and plan the educational programme for your child, however this responsibility is delegated to the class teacher. Teachers work in partnership with parents and carers and the other professionals who support your child.  They then produce an Integrated Individual Plan for your child which details the specific educational and care arrangements in place.

 Teachers are available on a regular basis to provide reports of progress if requested by parents.  

Who will work with my child or young person and how often?
The class teacher will work with your child on a daily basis to ensure progress is achieved. Teachers work as part of a team in class with Educational Teaching Assistants, Bilingual staff and Interveners.  The team who support your child within class will be made known to you.

Who will explain to me what is in place to support my child or young person?
We value productive partnerships with parents and carers and work hard to build close relationships with you. Teachers and class staff ensure parents and carers are fully informed. This is a chance for you to discuss in detail the progress and plans for your child.  Home/ school diaries ensure that parents are kept up to date with what is happening in school on a day to day basis.  Teachers and support staff complete the diaries and outline progress made on a daily basis.  This is also the opportunity for you to record what is taking place at home or any concerns you may have. Regular meetings take place each term for parents and carers.  

How are the governors involved?
Our governors take a keen interest in all aspects of school. Regular, ½ termly governor meetings ensure that governors are up to date will all educational approaches and strategies.

Will my child or young person have consistent support from staff known to them?
Your child will be based in a class group within one of the four departments in school. This class group will be consistent throughout the academic year. Your child will also have the opportunity to work with a wide variety of staff and students in school through department activities, topic groups and enrichment events.

Will staff be given time to plan and prepare materials, activities and lessons to enable my child or young person to access the curriculum?
Our teachers have access to planning and preparation time to ensure all students learn as well as possible. Our curriculum is specifically adapted to ensure we apply an effective child centred approach to learning.

How will you know how effective your arrangements for children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) are?
We target set and measure all of our students’ progress using a variety of specifically designed assessment tools.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child or young person’s needs? What is your approach to personalisation?

Fairfield School has a child centred approach to learning which is supported by each child’s Integrated Individual Plan. The use of our rigorous and ongoing assessment ensures that teaching adapts and responds to the changing needs of each student. Effective home/school collaboration supports this process and ensures appropriate personalised learning is realised. Further support is provided by our Family Liaison, Welfare and Safeguarding Officer. 

How will both you and I know how my child or young person is doing and how will you help me to support their learning?

There is a parent/carer meeting held every term to discuss your child’s achievements and progress and to plan for the next steps.  In addition a termly report is sent home outlining the progress and achievements that term with a more detailed report at the end of the school year.  

Once a year, your child will have an annual review of their Statement of Special Educational Needs or Education Health and Care Plan.  This brings together your views along with those of school and everyone who helps your child to look at progress and to ensure that the provision remains appropriate.

We also ensure that contact between home and school is constant through the use of home/school diaries which are completed daily. Parents are provided with termly planning and Integrated Individual Education Plans to ensure they are fully informed of activities and progress. 

We want to work very closely with you and for you to be involved in planning you child or young person’s education.  We welcome ongoing dialogue and discussion between home and school. 

Do you offer any parent training or learning events?
Parent training events are offered throughout the academic year as part of the work of the Fairfield Families Group.  The parent training and learning events on offer are decided upon by parents and carers themselves, usually at the Fairfield Families meetings.  We have run various training for parents on e-safety, Makaton signing, suitable apps and programmes for use on Tablet computers at home.   Further training planned includes sessions on sleep management, behaviour management, benefits advice and fabulous ‘disabled friendly’ days out for the family.  We always welcome ideas for future training and support sessions.  

What support will there be for my child or young person’s overall well being?

What pastoral, medical and social support is available for children with SEND?
In addition to the ongoing support from your child’s class and department teams, we have a dedicated nursing team and access to therapy services within school. We also work in partnership with children and adult social care and other partner agencies to ensure appropriate ongoing support. Details of the overall arrangements are outlined in the child’s Integrated Individual Plan.

What support is there for behaviour?
We recognise have a positive behaviour approach which is supported by a comprehensive Positive Behaviour Policy. 

How will my child or young person be supported to enable them to contribute their views?
We believe strongly that all of children have a voice and should be enabled to make choices.  We ensure that every child’s preferred communication strategies are clearly identified and outlined in their Communication Passport and within their Integrated Individual Plan. This may be through sign, use of symbols, vocalisation, gesture or augmentative and alternative technologies.  All children are encouraged to indicate how they feel and action taken if a child is unhappy.  

We have a School Council with representatives from each class.  The School Council often takes an active role in many decisions made in school.   

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting, school or college?

Qualified teachers of deaf and hearing impaired children

Qualified teachers of blind and visually impaired children

Teachers qualified in Multi-Sensory Impairment
Teachers qualified in working with pupils who have autism
Qualified Multi-Sensory Interveners
Communications manager
Makaton Trainers

What other services do you access including health, therapy and social care services to meet the needs of young people and support families?


  • Nursing team-

  • Physiotherapy team -

  • Occupational Therapy team

  • Speech and Language Therapy Team-

  • Learning Disability Nursing Team - 

Social Care

  • Disabled Children’s Service- 01484 456847

  • Learning disability Team- Adult Services- 01484 456997

  • Kirklees Specialist Adult Pathways Team 01924 482164

  • Kirklees Respite Care- Orchard View 01924 496783

Local Authority Contacts

  • Manual Handling Advice
    Penny Townsend – Moving and Handling and Back Care Advisor – DCYP
    Penny.townsend@kirklees.gov.uk  Tel 07976497952

  • Statements and Education Health and Care Plans

SEN Assessment and Commissioning Team, Kirkgate Buildings, Byram Street, Huddersfield HD1 1BY | Tel: 01484 221000


What staff training is in place to support children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities?

As a special school for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities, our entire focus is meeting those complex needs. To do this we ensure all staff are appropriately trained to meet the needs of the children.  Our professional development framework has three strands:  essential; core; and elective.   

Our in-school training programme prioritises the essential and core training for all staff.  In addition we strive to ensure that staff are able to extend their skills, knowledge and understanding into areas of particular relevance to the school and in line with their own interests e.g sensory integration; intensive interaction; Makaton; PECs etc.


How accessible is your environment?

We offer a purpose-built special school which is fully accessible to children and young people with mobility and sensory impairments.  The school has level access throughout, has overhead tracking hoists in almost all areas and mobile hoists can be used where overhead hoists aren’t available.  There are accessible toilets and changing spaces throughout the building.  We have specialist resources to meet a variety of needs including Sensory Room, Rebound Room, Hydrotherapy Pool, Interactive Soft Play Room, Track Chair System, Quiet Safe Spaces, Media Suite and Sensory Garden. 

Fairfield School aims to provide an environment where Total Communication is accepted, valued and developed, where pupils can interact, express needs and preferences, make choices, ask questions, make friends and express feelings. This may include forms of alternative or augmentative communication (AAC).

We also employ four Bilingual Support Workers.  Where necessary we use the Kirklees Interpreting Service.  

How will you prepare and support my child or young person to join the school?

Admissions to Fairfield School are arranged by Kirklees Local Authority.  Parents/carers should contact the Casework Officer within the SEN Assessment and Commissioning Team to discuss the options and decider, through consultation which school will best meet your child’s needs.  

SEN Assessment and Commissioning Team, Kirkgate Buildings, Byram Street, Huddersfield HD1 1BY | Tel: 01484 221000

Children who have special needs are usually referred to us through the process of writing or revising a Statement of Educational Needs or an Education Health and Care Plan. It is the responsibility of the Local Authority to write or revise a statement, although as parents you may have instigated it yourselves.  Many people may be involved in the process including doctors, educational psychologists, teachers from previous schools, Early Years Support, therapists to name but a few.

Any parent considering admission to Fairfield is welcome to visit our school to see the provision we offer, meet the staff and chat to the pupils.

Once it is decided that your child or young person is coming to Fairfield School, we preparation in a number of ways: further visits to the school; meeting with your class and class teacher at home and at school; stay and play sessions; multi-agency meetings; and phased induction dependant on needs and requirements.

How will you support them to move on to the next stage of education or move on to adult life?

Communication passports ensure that all student information is readily available to any new setting. Transition meetings also help by ensuring we communicate clearly with another setting everything that should be in place.

At the age of 19 our students move on from the Transition Department to a variety of service providers or to college. This process is completed in partnership with: parents and carers; The Careers Service; The Specialist Adult Pathways Team, The Learning Disability Team and College or Service Provider representatives to ensure a smooth post 19 transition.

How are decisions made about what type and how much support my child or young person will receive?

Decisions about support are driven by each child’s Statement or Education, Health and Care Plan. The assessment process resulting in an EHC Plan or statement will be completed prior to your child’s registration at Fairfield School by Kirklees Special Educational Needs Assessment and Commissioning Team.

How will you judge if the support has had an impact?
Continual assessment takes place throughout your child’s time at Fairfield.  This is to ensure progress is mapped and built upon. This is shared with parents on an ongoing basis through home/school books, telephone conversations, parents’ meetings and through the school review process. Parental input is welcomed and encouraged.

Click here for link to Kirklees local offer.